I can hear you saying....not another Bolognaise recipe!!! Well please bear with us as this is a really healthy slant to a very popular dish. We use chicken breast mince instead of beef. The taste is just as good but it's a lot lighter and lower in calories. We mince our own chicken but you can chop the breast really finely with a sharp cooks knife, or buy it ready minced.
2 tablespoons Olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
400g chicken breast mince (you could use turkey)
1 x 410g can chopped tomatoes
250ml red wine
3 tablespoons tomato frito or passata
1 chicken stock cube
1 heaped teaspoon mixed herbs
A good pinch of chilli flakes
Salt and Ground Black Pepper
Grated rind and juice of half a lemon
300g freshly cooked Tagliatelle, or any pasta of your choice
1) In a medium sized saucepan (with a lid) heat the oil over a high heat and add the onion. Sauté for 2/3 minutes stirring constantly.
2) Turn the heat down to med/low and add the garlic. Continue to cook till the onions are translucent.
3) Add the minced chicken and cook through, stirring all of the time so that the meat separates out evenly.
4) Add the tomatoes, red wine,tomato frito/passata, crumbled stock cube, herbs and chilli flakes.
5) Bring back to the boil stirring and add salt and grindings of black pepper to taste. Put the lid on the pan.
6) Turn down the heat and allow to simmer slowly for 30 minutes.
7) Stir in the lemon juice and rind.
8) Serve with the tagliatelle (or pasta of your choice) garnished with a little chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese on the side.
Cooks Tip. This recipe also makes a great meat sauce for lasagne.
Pam and David Lynn want to share with you in their blog... all the interesting and exciting things that go on in their Personal Chefs Marbella world. Welcome!